What To Do If You’re Involved In An Accident
Protect Your Rights By Following These Steps
Auto accidents are unexpected and stressful. Even the most careful drivers may be involved. If you are in an accident, the injury settlement lawyers at Grey Law are committed to helping you restore your peace of mind as soon as possible.
- Safety first. Drivers involved in minor accidents with no serious injuries should move cars to the side of the road and out of the way of oncoming traffic. Leaving cars parked in the middle of the road or busy intersection can result in additional accidents and injuries. If a car cannot be moved, drivers and passengers should remain in the cars with seatbelts fastened for everyone’s safety until help arrives. Make sure to turn on hazard lights and set out cones, flares or warning triangles if possible.
- After the accident, exchange the following information: name, address, phone number, insurance company, policy number, driver license number and license plate number for the driver and owner of each vehicle. Also, make a written description of each car, including year, make, model and color and the exact location of the collision and how it happened.
- If the name on an auto registration is different than the driver, write down the relationship.
- Use your camera to document the damage to all the vehicles. Take photos of the scene of the accident as well.
- Make immediate notes about the accident, including specific damages to all vehicles involved, witness information, etc.
- Obtain contact information of any witnesses.
- Contact the police immediately. Police will immediately investigate the scene of the accident, take statements of witnesses, and will examine the other driver to check for drug or alcohol use. The police can also be valuable witnesses to your injury at the scene, and they can assist in securing an admission of fault from the negligent driver.
- It is important to seek medical treatment immediately after an accident even if you feel you are not seriously injured. Frequently, symptoms do not become apparent for several hours after an accident. Unfortunately, many accident victims wait to get treatment. Waiting to get treatment is not only bad for your physical well being, but will hurt your chances of getting a fair settlement for your injuries.
- Do not sign any document unless it is for the police or your insurance agent.
- State only the facts, and limit your discussion of the accident to the police and your insurance agent.
- If possible, don’t leave the accident scene before the police and other drivers do.
- Call your insurance agent and report the accident. Ask your agent about any time limits for filing a claim. If you plan on filing a claim, get the claims process started as soon as possible. Your insurance company will investigate the loss, take statements and inspect the damage to both vehicles in order to determine the merits of your claim.
- Call an experienced auto accident lawyer in Los Angelesat Grey Law. Our attorneys can explain the law to you and advise you of your legal rights and obligations. Our attorneys can determine who was at fault and get you compensation for your property damage and personal injuries. Call today at 323-210-4504.
If you or a loved one has been involved in an auto accident contact an experienced Grey Law Los Angeles injury lawyer as soon as you are able to. An experienced bodily injury attorney in Los Angeles will begin the process of preserving any evidence, obtaining police reports and contacting any witnesses to the accident. At Grey Law, we will promptly arrange for an attorney to consult with you free of charge. One of our experienced auto accident attorneys will advise you on how to protect your rights and preserve any evidence to maximize your recovery. Call our office today at 323-210-4504.
Pedestrian Accidents on Interstate Highways
It is usual to see a vehicle or truck parked on the shoulder of an interstate highway. Collisions may happen no matter how cautious a person might be. Pedestrians are often the victim in these [...]
What is a Subrogation Action?
Have you been in a workplace accident or car accident? If so, you likely visited an urgent care facility or emergency room thereafter. While any medical provider is likely to get patients to fill out [...]
Factors to Consider When Hiring a Truck Accident Attorney
Whenever you are in a truck accident, it is essential to seek legal help. There are many factors to consider when hiring a truck accident attorney. You want to find someone who has experience with [...]