Poolside and other swimming related accidents are the second leading cause of death of children under 14 years of age. From drowning to accidents involving poolside apparatuses such as diving boards or maintenance equipment, the pool can be a dangerous place. Swimming pools are so dangerous in fact, that 300 children under age 5 die and 2,000 more children under age 5 visit hospital emergency rooms for submersion injuries every year. Visit our children injuries page.
Swimming pool owners, like all property owners, are responsible for accidents that occur on their premises. If a hot tub is left uncovered at a residence or hotel, it presents a danger to toddlers or any other children who might reasonably be expected in the area. Property owners are responsible for providing reasonable and effective barriers to property features that can be considered and attractive nuisance.
The Los Angeles swimming pool accident attorneys at Grey Law handle swimming pool accidents involving catastrophic injuries and drowning cases where there was negligent pool management. Swimming pool injuries may be caused by:
- Diving board accidents, including broken neck injuries
- Lack of supervision
- Failure to cover pools or hot tubs
- Inadequate fencing
- Inadequate warning signs
- Drains or other hazards
- Water too shallow
- No lifeguards
- Improperly trained lifeguards
California offers numerous pool and spa facilities available to children and families which are all required by the numerous safety regulations to ensure guests and residents can enjoy themselves without worry. Unfortunately, too often pool safety regulations are not conscientiously followed and swimming pool injuries and wrongful deaths due occur. If you or a loved one has been involved in a catastrophic swimming pool injury contact an attorney at Grey Law today. Our attorneys will use full resources to seek justice and prevent this kind of accident from occurring in the future. We take the time to fully understand all aspects and locate all factors which contributed to the accident in order to determine which parties should be held liable. We will help you get the compensation you fully deserve. Call our office today for a free case evaluation at 323-857-9500.
The following is a list of swimming safety tips geared toward preventing serious swimming related injuries or deaths:
- Make sure that everyone in your home knows how to swim
- Ensure that children and adults that enter the pool are knowledgeable about pool safety.
- Don’t let children enter a body of water, such as a river, lake, ocean pool, or pool area unless a responsible adult accompanies them.
- Make sure adults supervise their own children that are swimming.
- Do not swim while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Enforce strict pool rules.
- Install the correct pool safety measures. A tall lockable fence or a sturdy pool cover.
- Make sure broken drain covers are replaced and install a safety vacuum release systems (SVRS), which can detect blockage of the drain and automatically shut off.
If you or your loved one has been seriously injured in a swimming pool accident, you may be able to file a premises liability claim or lawsuit for damages against the pool owner. Premises liability law is complex, which is why it is important that you retain the services of a knowledgeable and experienced injury lawyer that knows how to represent clients with swimming pool injuries or in wrongful death drowning cases. The attorneys at Grey Law have been helping Los Angeles swimming pool accident victims obtain justice and compensation for medical expenses and other damages for over 25 years. We are a law firm that cares about its clients. We strive to provide the highest standards of personal service. Call us today at 323-857-9500 for a free case evaluation.