What to Know About Tanning Accident Burn Injuries
Determining Liability After Tanning Salon Accidents
I got hurt in a tanning bed. Can I recover damages for my injuries? Yes – you can. In the U.S., over 3,000 people sustain burn injuries that require emergency treatment. A considerable percentage of them come from tanning beds. There’s much to learn about these types of injuries as more victims come forward with reported cases of skin cancer, first-degree, second-degree, and third-degree burns.
The Truth About Tanning Beds
Tanning is a convenient way to get the bronze look you want to achieve. But going too often can have an adverse effect on your health. The Mayo Clinic and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention both warn the following about tanning beds:
- They emit UV radiation, a form of non-ionizing radiation naturally sourced by the sun. Regardless of how much time you spend in them, these machines release high levels of UV.
- Natural sun exposure is better than getting a base tan, as your skin is more susceptible to blistering.
- Studies show over 80% of tanning accident victims suffer from severe burns of the skin or eyes. Excessive UV light harms the retina, lens, and cornea.
- The risks of forming skin cancer and precancerous skin lesions are highest from UV exposure.
- The outer layer of the skin will begin to age prematurely in a process known as photoaging. It can dry out the skin, promote wrinkles, weaken surrounding tissue, and cause discoloration.
What Happens If I Get Burned in A Tanning Bed?
Most victims suspect they have a tanning bed injury when they experience these symptoms:
- Peeling skin
- Tender to the touch
While some will subside after a few days or weeks, others will take longer to heal. It depends on the severity of the burn and the steps you take immediately after the accident. Here are three things you should do to treat a tanning bed burn:
- Cool the skin immediately. As long as the burn retains heat, the injury will worsen.
- Apply Aloe Vera if you have any cream on hand (for minor injuries). It can help to soothe the skin.
- Go to the doctor even if the burns or skin lesions are minor. Medical records are crucial for every personal injury case. The longer you wait to treat severe or large blisters, the injury will worsen. An accident injury attorney would also tell you it can impact any lawsuit you file in the weeks ahead.
Am I Entitled to Damages?
Tanning accidents can be disastrous – even more so if you are younger than 20 years old. More youthful clients are often at high risk of developing skin cancer as they age from inattentive tanning companies. Fortunately, compensatory damages are available when negligence is involved.
A burn injury lawyer can determine your case value during a free consultation to establish if it’s worth pursuing a lawsuit. You don’t have to go through the legal process alone – nor should you. Examples of damages we can help victims recover are:
- Loss/future loss of income
- Medical expenses
- Changes in quality of life
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages – in cases of extreme negligence
Like other personal injury cases (ex. spinal cord damage, dog bite puncture wounds, bus crash), you have two years from the date of the accident to take legal action. We can establish who is liable from tanning bed manufacturers to the salon where you got treated during that time. The staff must warn patients of potential risks and monitor the timing of each session.
About Grey Law
“When it comes to getting you more, I won’t settle for less.” – David Grey
When you or a loved one are injured due to negligence, carelessness, or wrongful acts of another person, David Grey is ready to help. Seeking compensation or negotiating with insurance companies can be stressful, especially while recovering. Let us do that for you.
With thousands of lawyers in California, we understand it can be difficult to choose the right legal representation. We have 35+ years of experience and secured millions for our clients. From the time you retain our firm, we build your case.
For a free case evaluation and consultation, reach out to us at 323-768-0497 or email email@example.com.
Pedestrian Accidents on Interstate Highways
It is usual to see a vehicle or truck parked on the shoulder of an interstate highway. Collisions may happen no matter how cautious a person might be. Pedestrians are often the victim in these [...]
What is a Subrogation Action?
Have you been in a workplace accident or car accident? If so, you likely visited an urgent care facility or emergency room thereafter. While any medical provider is likely to get patients to fill out [...]
Factors to Consider When Hiring a Truck Accident Attorney
Whenever you are in a truck accident, it is essential to seek legal help. There are many factors to consider when hiring a truck accident attorney. You want to find someone who has experience with [...]