Were You Injured in A Bike Accident? Call Us to Schedule A Free Consultation
Getting into an accident with a motor vehicle is never ideal, especially when you’re on a bicycle. As more cyclists share the road with drivers, a few might wonder whether they should carry insurance. As more Californians experience bike crashes, your chances of needing a lawyer have increased. Insurance companies have responded by offering policies to cover losses ranging from theft to property damage and personal injury. In any event where you or a loved one collided with an oncoming driver, it is best to seek a free consultation with an attorney for biking accidents in Los Angeles.
Bike Insurance in LA
As lawyers who are knowledgeable in managing cases for bike-related injuries, we understand the dangers associated with commuting to work, riding your bike for pleasure and simply exercising. Outside of riding among negligent drivers, insurance companies are starting to factor in road hazards and limited access to bike lanes across the city. In California, drivers are required to show financial responsibility by purchasing the minimum liability insurance coverage that is required by law. The minimum amounts are as follows:
- $15,000 to cover personal injuries per individual for each accident.
- $30,000 to cover personal injuries for more than one person per accident.
- $5,000 to cover property damages.
It is adequate coverage for cyclists who initiate a bike accident claim. Companies like Markel Insurance and Velosurance offer direct, specific bike policies. A bike injury lawyer can offer advice and guidance on the policy that works best for you. A few examples of coverage include:
- Transit protection.
- Bike liability protection.
- Medical coverage.
- Vehicle contact coverage.
- Coverage for spare parts and bike accessories.
Though it is not required, it can significantly help following an accident, especially when it comes to replacing your bike. Not having insurance as a cyclist can be devastating over time. The medical bills to treat minor to severe injuries and property damage alone can be costly.
Bike Insurance Must Cover the Possibility of Facing an Uninsured Motorist
Bike insurance should not only protect you in an unexpected crash, but also cover you if an uninsured motorist hits you. Certain cyclist insurance policies offer additional benefits to pay for medical costs. Choosing to pass on uninsured (UM) or underinsured (UIM) coverage on your auto policy can be devastating if you were to get hurt on the road.
The law mandates all drivers must have liability insurance – but it’s not always affordable. Those that postpone payments prior to getting into an accident would be categorized as uninsured in a collision. According to California Code § 11580.2, every policy should have a subsection for uninsured motorist coverage. Cyclists that get struck by uninsured, underinsured drivers, can benefit from this coverage. It works to provide the plaintiff with the compensation he/she deserves.
Not all insurance policies have full medical payment coverage. While we hope the accident you experienced wasn’t severe, fatal, or life-threatening, there’s only so much the defendant can do. Hiring a personal injury attorney in Los Angeles for sudden accidents can increase your chances of reaching a higher settlement when filing a lawsuit.
Is There a Way Around Bike Insurance?
If you do not have cyclist insurance, you may be wondering about alternative ways to find financial relief. Here are a few options that can temporarily help:
(1) Bikers that do not have enough coverage for medical expenses can use their personal health insurance policy, especially if you do not own a motor vehicle. Your policy should be able to step in and take care of copays and deductibles while your injury claims get processed against the negligent party.
(2) Homeowners’ insurance may be able to cover costs to replace a stolen bike or fix damages caused by a careless driver or generally by another person.
(3) If you have a standalone disability policy or receive it through your job you can use it to replace your income after an accident. It can cover wages lost if you are unable to work after getting injured.
(4) As mentioned previously, you can also take advantage of the UM/UIM coverage. Whether you get hurt for driving or biking, it’ll be easier to manage expenses. In California, insurance code regulations carry over to cover activities under certain circumstances.
Always Consult with A Lawyer Before Talking with The Insurance Company
Hiring a lawyer for car and bike accidents may be the last thing on your mind after a crash while you are recovering and figuring out next steps. While we understand why you would want to wait – insurance companies won’t hesitate to reach out immediately after an accident to determine who was negligent (you, the driver, a pedestrian, etc.). Legally, you are not required to immediately answer an insurance adjuster’s questions unless you want to. Anything you say can and will be used against you later. Making a slight mistake to insinuate fault will also hurt your chances of reaching a fair settlement and allows the defendant to file a claim against you instead.
Having a legal professional act on your behalf will provide you with momentary ease and relief. If you have difficulty agreeing on a settlement, your lawyer will investigate the accident and provide the evidence necessary to prove how the driver was negligent in court. Normally, lawsuits are a last result when compensation can’t be reached in a reasonable time frame. Make sure that your lawyer is experienced in the following before you make the call:
- Negotiating bike accident cases in court, and against insurance companies.
- Have a high success rate of winning bike accident cases in court.
- Ability to determine how much your case is worth during a consultation.
- Knowledgeable about bike laws in CA.
Don’t Postpone Taking Legal Action
If you or a loved one were injured in a bike crash, you shouldn’t hesitate to take legal action. In California, injured persons have two years to file a claim against the defendant. An attorney for common bicycle injuries can help you file a personal injury claim on your behalf, and find a fair cyclist insurance policy.
About Grey Law
“When it comes to getting you more, I won’t settle for less.” – David Grey
When you or a loved one are injured due to negligence, carelessness, or wrongful acts of another person, David Grey is ready to help. Seeking compensation or negotiating with insurance companies can be stressful, especially while recovering. Let us do that for you. Our Los Angeles personal injury lawyers are well-versed in several practice areas:
Why do you need a lawyer for accident compensation? With thousands of lawyers in California, we understand it can be difficult to choose the right legal representation. We have 35+ years of experience and secured millions for our clients. From the time you retain our firm, we build your case. For a free case evaluation and consultation, reach out to us at 323-768-0497 or email email@example.com.