Distracted Driving Accidents
If You Were Injured by a Distracted Driver, Contact a Car Injury Attorney For Legal Help
Each day, more than 15 people are killed and more than 1,200 people are injured in crashes that were reported to involve a distracted driver. Distracted driving is driving while doing another activity that takes your attention away from driving; these activities can increase the chance of a motor vehicle crash. If you have been injured by a distracted driver contact a Los Angeles traffic accident attorney at Grey Law.
There are three main types of distraction:
- Manual – taking your hands off the wheel
- Visual – taking your eyes off the road
- Cognitive – taking your mind off driving
All distractions endanger driver, passenger, and bystander safety. These types of distractions include:
- Using a cell phone or smartphone
- Eating and drinking
- Talking to passengers
- Reading, including maps
- Using a navigation system
- Watching a video
- Adjusting a radio, CD player, or MP3 player
Text messaging is by far the most alarming distraction because it requires visual, manual, and cognitive attention from the driver.
STATISTICS AND FACTS ABOUT DISTRACTED DRIVING
- In 2009, 5,474 people were killed in crashes involving driver distraction, and an estimated 448,000 were injured according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- 16% of fatal crashes in 2009 involved reports of distracted driving according to the NHTSA.
- The NHTSA reports 20% of injury crashes in 2009 involved reports of distracted driving.
- In the month of June 2011, more than 196 billion text messages were sent or received in the US, up nearly 50% from June 2009 according to The Wireless Association (CTIA).
- Teen drivers are more likely than other age groups to be involved in a fatal crash where distraction is reported. In 2009, 16% of teen drivers involved in a fatal crash were reported to have been distracted according to the NHTSA.
- The US Department of Transportation reports that text messaging creates a crash risk 23 times worse than driving while not distracted.
- Sending or receiving a text takes a driver’s eyes from the road for an average of 4.6 seconds, the equivalent at 55 mph of driving the length of an entire football field, blind according to the US Department of Transportation.
- A study done by the University of Utah reported that using a cell phone while driving, whether it’s hand-held or hands-free delays a driver’s reactions as much as having a blood alcohol concentration at the legal limit of .08 percent.
If you’re one of the many people who have been injured in a car accident as the result of another person’s distracted driving, or if you have lost a family member to this kind of situation, a car accident lawyer at Grey Law can help. Our attorneys are prepared to work hard to make sure you are appropriately compensated for your medical expenses and physical and emotional suffering. Call us today at 323-210-4504 for a free case evaluation.
The Los Angeles distracted driving attorneys at Grey Law are experienced in distracted driving accident claims and will make sure the claim investigation is completed properly and completely, insurance benefits are coordinated smoothly, and that you as the accident victim, are fairly compensated for your injury. Distracted driving accident victims can recover damages for:
- Pain, suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and interference with familial relationships
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Wrongful death
- Emotional distress
- Past, present and future medical bills
- Lost wages, future earnings and earning capacity
- General damages
CALL OUR LOS ANGELES CAR WRECK ATTORNEY
Proving negligence and that the driver who caused your serious accident was distracted can often be difficult. The distracted driving lawyers at Grey Law have over 25 years of experience in distracted driving cases and will help you seek the compensation you are due. Contact our office today for a free case review from a Los Angeles injury lawyer.
Pedestrian Accidents on Interstate Highways
It is usual to see a vehicle or truck parked on the shoulder of an interstate highway. Collisions may happen no matter how cautious a person might be. Pedestrians are often the victim in these [...]
What is a Subrogation Action?
Have you been in a workplace accident or car accident? If so, you likely visited an urgent care facility or emergency room thereafter. While any medical provider is likely to get patients to fill out [...]
Factors to Consider When Hiring a Truck Accident Attorney
Whenever you are in a truck accident, it is essential to seek legal help. There are many factors to consider when hiring a truck accident attorney. You want to find someone who has experience with [...]