Frequently Asked Questions About California Slip and Fall Accidents
Frequently Asked Questions About Slip and Fall Accidents, Answered
What are the steps to take after a slip and fall accident?
Your slip and fall accident may be traumatizing both mentally and physically; however, following the steps below strengthen your chances of getting maximum compensation:
- Seek Medical Attention — Any fall has the potential of seriously injuring someone, even if they slip at ground level. A surprising number of victims end up in the emergency room despite not falling from an elevated height. Keep in mind that no court or insurance company will take your word at any point without medical records.
- Inspect The Scene — Take photographic evidence of the scene, including multiple angles of whatever made you fall.
- Identify Witnesses — The right witness can make your case. Our Los Angeles fall injury attorney uses two types of witnesses, which are eyewitnesses (who watched your injury happen), and expert professionals (who can add their expertise to the case.)
- Make An Official Report — All reports should include the date, time, and location of the injury, as well as conditions and actions surrounding the accident.
- Hire A Personal Injury Lawyer — An experienced slip and fall attorney is your best bet to receive maximum compensation.
What is California’s statute of limitations for slip and fall cases?
The statute of limitations to bring a slip and fall personal injury lawsuit in Los Angeles is generally two years from the date of the accident. In some cases, the statute of limitations may be “tolled” (or suspended) if the defendant is out-of-state for an amount of time, or the injured person is a child under the age of 18.
An experienced personal injury lawyer can advise you on how long you have to sue following the accident, depending on the specific circumstances of your case.
How much is my slip and fall case worth?
That is a question that we hear often at Grey Law Firm. Understanding how much you could recover is part of the legal process. Unfortunately, there is no clear answer until you schedule a consultation with a slip and fall attorney.
During our case evaluations, we can review what occurred and how the injury impacted your life. Medical bills and lost wages are two of many damages we can recover. Cases vary per client based on the severity of injuries range in severity, which can impact how much is recovered during a lawsuit.
How Do You Prove Fault in a Slip and Fall Accident?
To prove fault in a slip and fall lawsuit, the following must be established:
- The defendant’s duty of care
- The existence of a dangerous condition
- Injury resulting in financial loss
- Reasonable evidence to support the defendant’s knowledge of the hazardous condition
What damages can I recover from a slip and fall injury?
You can recover the following damages to cover the costs of your slip and fall accident in a personal injury lawsuit:
- Economic damages include specific costs, like medical treatment and lost wages if your injury prevented you from returning to your job at the capacity you were in before the accident.
- Non-economic damages include pain and suffering or mental anguish, loss of consortium, loss of enjoyment of activities, and possibly punitive damages.
When is a property owner or occupant considered negligent?
To recover compensation for a slip and fall, the victim must prove that the defendant was negligent. A defendant is negligent in the use or maintenance of his or her property in California if:
- A condition on the property created an unreasonable risk of harm
- The defendant knew or, through the exercise of reasonable care, should have known about it
- The defendant failed to repair the condition, protect against harm from the condition, or give adequate warning of the condition
When should I contact a slip and fall accident lawyer?
You should consult with a slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible after an injury accident, so they can quickly:
- Gather evidence and documents relevant to the condition of the property and who was responsible for maintaining the area
- Evaluate the evidence in order to minimize your liability and obtain the maximum compensation for damages
- Negotiate with the insurance company or other parties to receive the best possible settlement
- Go to trial if a settlement can’t be reached
Top Los Angeles Slip and Fall Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has gotten injured in a slip and fall accident, contact our Los Angeles personal injury attorney at Grey Law today. Our team has the experience and resources to successfully represent plaintiffs injured on unsafe property in Los Angeles and the surrounding communities.
Call us at 323-673-3655 today for a free legal consultation to discover what your rights and options are.
For 35+ years, our personal injury lawyer specializing in slip and fall accident cases has provided expert legal representation to our clients across Los Angeles courts. You can rely on our personal injury law firm to aggressively represent your case and investigate all possible sources of negligence and liability to recover the compensation and outcome you deserve.
Why Choose Grey Law For Your Slip and Fall Case?
- Proven Track Record
- No Fees Unless We Win
- 35+ Years of Trial Experience
- Dedicated Personal Injury Attorneys
- Maximum Recovery, Fast Settlements